Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Oh the heat

Well, it is June and even though it is supposed to be spring, it sure feels like summer! I have had several tough runs because of the heat and humidity. This morning Debi and I started out to do a 7.5 mile run at 4:15, it was around 80 degrees already and probably 90% Humidity! yuck. I got SO sweaty I could have rung out my clothes. I felt as if I had jumped into water and gotten out and started to run, although my shoes weren't wet which was nice. I have learned that you just have to slow down when it's crazy hot and humid out - the air quality is not the same, it's hard to breath and sweat does not evaporate as it would on a less humid day. I also read that we don't keep as cool when it's humid because of that - all the sweat that stays on our bodies fakes us out into thinking that we are cooler than we really are, and over heating can happen much easier. I also learned not to wear anything but spandex sweat whisking shorts, anything else just gets clingy and gross. That's what i've learned so far about heat and humidity - oh, and bring extra water for the longer runs & wear lots of sun screen when the sun is out.

Last week I got 45 miles in, this week i'm going to cut back - Marathon training starts the 12th - I'm still working on my schedule - think i'm going to go with 4 to 5 days a week running. 1 speed work out one long run and 2 - 3 some what longers runs (starting at 7-9 miles and elevating to 10-12 mile runs)
that's what i'm thinking -- that is the runners world program for i phone that came up with that -- everythign else seems too easy, the Hal Higgens would be a huge step down to start with even on the advance program - maybe I don't need to train that hard to finish, but I don't want to just finish, I want to finish strong and push my limits. Let the summer of running begin.

No comments:

Post a Comment