Wednesday, February 8, 2012

The Pre Ultra Training Juice fast

My running is getting a little better. I had my first good long race last Saturday. My sister and I along with 2 runner friends went to Chicago last weekend (the 21st) to run the first Polar Dash Half Marathon. It was cold and windy, but I felt good pretty much the whole race.
 It ended up being a strange course, around the block on the side walk, down to the lake trail, turn around, back to the start where the 10k ended and the half marathon people wend around again, same course, but the turn around was farther up the trail. I actually didn't mind that. I ended up stepping in a HUGE puddle around mile 10, that was lame, but I was nice and warmed up by them. The trail was slushy in spots, so it was hard to get good footing, as well as it being out and back, so it was hard to pass in some areas as well. I had a PBandJ sandwich before I left, some coffee on the road and a little piece of bannana bread. The race started at 10 and the first 5 miles my right foot felt like it was a prosthetic. I ended up finishing really strong and running my last mile as my fastest. My chip time was 1:51:50something. I was really happy with it - I didn't feel crazy exhosted after but was a little sore that night and the next day.
We had pizza and wine in Chicago after and made a few stops - it was good. I feel relieved to finally have a good longer race.

My sister and I have completed our spring running schedule. End of march we do: http://www.runthetrailbreaker.com/index.html  It's a trail marathon in Waukesha, Wisconsin.
In May we do the Lake Geneva Marathon - but we are actually doing the 22 mile trail run not the marathon. 
In June we do the Sky Line to the Sea Ultra 50k in CA It will be our first trip together and we plan on going camping at Yosemite park later during the trip. I'm hoping to get some really good pain killers so I CAN hike. Lastly, in July we figured we might as well do the Dances With Dirt 50K Ultra in Devils Lake WIwe figured since we will already be trained we might as well. Then we rest - and I plan on working on some speed training and maybe doing a half in the fall. it will be nice to have the summer off of the crazy long runs. So that's what we have planned - oh and I suppose I am already signed up for the Super Spartan race in Marsalls - that will be really fun.

Spring Running Schedule
So our training starts next month - in about a week or 2. So my sister decided that she wanted to do a detox juice diet for 4 days - I know it's not that long, but it's hard. I am curious to see how I run today with out having food for over 24 hours. We are hoping to drop a few pounds before training, and re set our cravings - hoping to have a heather diet during training. It ends Friday and then we have my birthday to celebrate - then the Superbowl fun run in Utica is on the 5th - i'm looking forward to that. It starts at the Ottawa YMCA and goes to Starved Rock Lodge. Should be a good time. We are also going to be working on our training schedule - it will be a little complicated with the 2 training marathons - I want to work some back to back long runs in as well as some hills and speed training. I'm really hoping not go get hurt or burned out and will do my best to listen to my body. So I said last summer would be the summer of running... well, looks like this will be the spring of running x about 10 - I'm exited though - the trail aspect of these new races will be a new challenge. 50k sticker here I come....

Heading out from the YMCA
The Juice diet went good - I made it three days and felt pretty good, it was just hard to run... I'm back to normal now and training has started this week for the ultras. Here is the schedule. OF COURSE I just hurt my foot yesterday and did not run today in hopes it will be better tomorrow. It started hurting yesterday on a 5 mile run - It's the bottom of my right foot, on the outside strip, NOT the arch. It feels better when I walk on the ball of my foot, but has been hurting just walking around. Pretty lame. My body hates me. I did just get a Nike swim suit and some goggles, so I plan on swimming tonight. Last weekend was the Starved Rock Runners Club Super Bowl Fun Run. 


it started at 8am at the Ottawa YMCA. It was a beautiful day. and a really fun 11 mile run down to Starved rock Lodge with My sister Debi and my Neighbor runner friend Mike Way. We all made treats to bring and my boyfriend Judah drove the car to meet us. He was going to run it, but hurt his knee so was un able to. I made Runners world Sweet Potato Muffins - I was pretty happy with them.
Sweet Potato Muffins
2 1/2 cups whole-wheat flour (preferably pastry flour)
3/4 cup sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup melted unsalted butter
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 cup pureed or mashed cooked sweet potato
1 egg, beaten
1/2 cup buttermilk (I just used skim milk because that's what I had)
Heat oven to 375° F. Grease 12 muffin cups or add paper liners.
Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, ginger, baking soda, and salt.
In a bowl, whisk butter, oil, sweet potato, egg, and buttermilk. Fold wet mixture into the dry; stir until just combined.
Fill muffin cups three-quarters full. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes.
Banana Nut Variation Reduce sugar to 1/2 cup. Replace sweet potato with 1 cup mashed, very ripe banana; add 1/2 cup chopped walnuts to the batter.





 

No comments:

Post a Comment