Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Getting ready to dance with the dirt

The Dances with the Dirt 50k at Devils Lake Wisconsin is in 4 days. I can't believe that it's almost here. The end of my crazy running spring/summer is almost over. I just added up the miles it's 1010 for the year. I'm a little nervous about the race - but hey, at least I have a goal - beat the last one. I can handle trying to beat my 8 hour time from CA. The course looks pretty crazy - it starts out going across the street and up the bunny hill at Devils Head resort - then continue up the intermediate hill and onto mountain bike trails that may have extremely tall grass making the trail invisible at times (now how would anyone ride a bike through something like that?) then over to the trail leading to Devils Lake State Park, on the ice age trail for some time... and a variety of other trails. The end is down the double diamond ski hill at Devils head. I'm thinking about rolling down it, probably hurt about the same - just different parts. I guess I just follow pink (ribbons that is)- it looks like a pretty complicated trail map... Some of the points have names such as "Nose Bleed", "Road Kill" and "Bug Pit". They say poison ivy is plentiful - time to see if I really am immune to that I guess. Sounds like the aid stations will be nice - similar to the ones in CA. I'm trying to decide that to put in my bag that will be around the half way point. I don't really want to change shoes, I plan on wearing the saucony ones, but I suppose if we get rain and they get wet I will want something to change into. I'm thinking sox, shoes, shirt, shorts, bug spray, sun screen....
Than I plan on carrying a compass, my phone, camera, typical gummys and gue and water.... possibly might get some stingers - and I guess that's it.

Since the last ultra I have been taking it pretty easy - Kristin Wade from Midwest Misfits who has completed 2 iron mans  and many other races recommended that I focus on healing, not do any more double runs - just because I wouldn't have time to heal, build up my mileage and taper again before the race. I figured she knows more than me, and generally I don't take as much advice as I should, so this time, I would take the advice of someone with more experience. So - that's what I did. No doubles - mainly somewhat easy runs, my long runs were 8-13 miles. She did say I could do one 18 to 20 mile run just for a confidence boost, but the day I set out to do that ended up being HORRIBLE hot and humid and I just couldn't make myself do it. Last week I ran 3 HOT miles before a 3k - the Ronald Reagen run in Dixon IL, and then the 5k, so I got about 6 in - my shin was bothering me quite a bit, but I made it, it was SOOOOO hot. About 93 when we got back in the car to leave - Then Sunday finally it cooled off so Judah and I ran 7 miles of trails - it was really nice to get a run in without the heat. Then Monday was an off day, and today I ran 6.5 miles. I plan to bike tomorrow and run 4 in trails on Thursday, Friday nothing - we are driving up to the race right after work. Mike, Anglea, their 2 kids & Debi and Tim and also Matilda and Mike & Angela's dog Snoopie are all renting a cabin with a kitchen and 3 rooms. Should be a nice way to do it. We are making homemade pizzas to bring up and make right after the race. Game plan for the trip is to leave ASAP Friday, go get our packets from Devils lake, Eat dinner at the pasta buffet - then head to the cabin and get up bright and early. The race starts at 5am. My parents might come up later in the day.

My game plan for the race is to take it easy - not pass people, just trot along, conserve energy, slow and steady smooth and easy. Drink lots of water, take lots of pictures, go COMPLETELY at my own pace. Looks like i'll be on my own because Debi's IT Band is bothering her very badly.... I kind of want to do this alone anyway, even if she was not hurt, I don't want to feel pressured to go faster or do anything I shouldn't do - this 50k thing is no joke. Hopefully I will finish in under 8 hours, find some ice and ibuprofen, drink my protein shake.... and recover better and faster than the last race - I DEFIANTLY will NOT be climbing 3 miles up a mountain 2 days later, I WILL get proper ice and protein and rest - so it will be interesting to see the difference in my recovery. Next post should be my race report!!!

Oh, and a side note - this is what I have to bring signed to the race:
“I realize that the course for the (DWD) presents a number of potential dangers to me and I hereby assume the risk arising from all of them. I realize that I will be running on a variety of surfaces, some of them far less than perfect, including but not limited to roads, unimproved trails, mud, swamps, cliffs, lumpy fields covered with waist high grass and river crossings. The roads are open to motor vehicle traffic that has the right of way. I know that broken bones, reactions to poison ivy, insect bites and bruising are common occurrences in this extreme event and that I will be far into the wilderness away from medical support. I realize that the danger of injury and even death exists as well and I hereby assume all the risks that may be present on the (DWD) course.”

No comments:

Post a Comment