Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Recovery and beoyond

Here is what i wrote about after the half -- after this, everything will be new.

Recovery - ?

I have completed my first half marathon with disappointing results. I am not healing up a 2 month calf injury hoping to start running again soon.

8/5/2010 -- It has been 3 full days since the Chicago Rock and Roll half marathon. I have been stretching, massaging and icing my leg. It still hurts, but does feel better. I am hoping to go back to running lightly next week. I will at least go back to boot camp on Monday. It has been very nice to take this week off though. I have enjoyed eating what I want, Not worrying about getting tons of carbs with rice etc. and not drinking pop, I have enjoyed pop just about every day this week. I have also had wine every night, that has been awesome. I have stayed up till ten and slept till 6am, also very nice. It's nice not to have to drink tons of water, I was SO sick of water and wild rice. Of course I still drink water, but I don't have to obsess over making sure I drink enough, I now drink when i'm thirsty. Staying up late and not worrying abut getting all the necessary sleep is nice too, I have been out to a late dinner, stayed out late talking and playing bean bags with neighbors, watched late movies, tonight i'm going to a cougars game, Friday i'm staying out late going to Lalapalooza... it's nice. I knew running ruled my life, but I just didn't know how much it really did. It truly is a lifestyle. I won't be sad to go back, but I am enjoying my time off quite a lot. Last night I did a little work out, today I want to go on a bike ride. I'm just hoping that i will be better by Tuesday to run. I"m not sure what I want to train for. I think i'll do another half and try to get a better time, I was so dissipated about the last one, I feel like I need to redeem myself to myself. So, I was thinking of doing 1 or to more Halfs this year, if I feel really good an actual marathon by the end of the fall, not sure about that though. At least one 10k is planned, and a 5k. It all depends on how this leg feels though. I do get very tired of icing, stretching, wrapping ect.... but I'll do what it takes to get better and stay injury free. I send my insoles back -- they had TONS of arch support, and I think my feet are just too flat for them. I ordered some Nike Zoom structures, hopefully they will be good and I want to get a running GPS watch.

8/12/2010 -- ALRIGHT well -- lets see. Monday I went to boot camp -- we did stations YUCK and the gym was SO hot -- I worked out HARD though and felt good about that, almost all boy push ups and no slacking. THEN I went over to my parents and helped move 220ish bales of hay, it was so hot and humid out and we were trying to beat the darkness and the mosquitoes were out in force... HORRIBLE -- AND my sister threw a bale of hay right on my leg (of course the hurt one) So, Tuesday I was a little sore -- but we ran 6 miles, back on Faxon to 34 and back again.It was alright -- a little hot and sticky, I wore my new shoes... They were good except at about 3/4s of the way it started feeling like I was running on FIRE!!!!  Then I realized that it was because I was getting blisters on my arches (BOTH of them) it was not fun. When I got back and peeled my socks off I was greeted with a very sore line of red raw blisters on each arch.OUCH. Wednesday we decided to skip boot camp -- I knocked on Debs door and when she came out it was about the quickest decision she has ever made to agree to skip -- jer was all ready to go, but he decided to go back to bed too. It was SO nice to sleep more -- I needed it after my crazy week (out every night late, wine every night....) THEN, at work I got my new running watch the Graman forerunner 305. after looking at houses with my realitor, mom, sister and BF (I just got pre approved for a loan!!!)  I read the instructions and figured out how to use it. I used it this morning for 5.5ish miles... it was really cool -- I love it. Can't wait to get lots of data in it to look at, I love data. I think this little trainer watch is going to give me the motivation I need to be better, faster stronger. I'm quick to think "they're just better runners than me, I can't keep up" but I really can't say that when I'm doing a virtual running partner with one of my previous runs... I can't be worse than myself... It was a pretty good run though, still hot, hottest day of the year I here.... Nice to only go 5ish miles for once. Ann and Mechelle who are training for a marathon (the Chicago) ran 18 miles today -- I'm glad that's not me -- and Matt has to do another 7 at home tonight -- can't say I miss that, i'm glad i'm done with training hard for a little while. My leg is doing pretty good I think -- I'm still icing it, stretching and massaging it and I really think it's working...

8-18-2010 -- Well, running is going ok. Last Thursday we did 6 -- then Sunday we ran 8 out on a trail in Oswego -- it was nice to have a change in scenery. I signed up for scoccer -- I got a 9.5 shoe for it (cleats) hoping they will work out the 9 that I normally wear just felt too tight, not sure if that is how they are supposed to fit though. Hopefully I will like it and not get hurt -- got shin guards too.  We did the 8 miles at a 9min a mile pace -- it was a little tough because it was 8am when we started so it got hot pretty quick.Yesterday we went to boot camp and after that my leg hurt pretty bad but after a walk at the forest preserve it felt better. Today we ran 6.4 miles -- it was nice, awesome day out. finally a cooler day - only 63 or so. Debbie however has been ruining my runs. She clames that she doesn't care about going fast, just does it to burn calories, but this morning she just kept going faster. We were going plenty fast... It would have been nice if she has stayed and run with us, but she didn't. It's just sad because of all the times I kept pace with her and could have gone faster she is just out for herself these days. Oh well... Guess it's just me and Jer, at least he'll stick with us. We ran a extra Shafer woods loop that Debi didn't know about because she ran ahead -- I don't know what's gotten into her lately she just cares about her running and not about us as running partners. Guess I better just get use to it though...  Tomorrow I might do speed training on a track instead of boot camp, not sure.
8-24-2010 -- Training is going alright. Thursday I just ran 7 miles at Jers house -- it was nice for a change of senery. Saturday we met up with Boot camp runners and ran at the Vergal Gilman trail. JEr and I did 10 -- it was nice... nothing too eventful. We ran up with quite a few people, 2 turned around at 4.5, we turned around at 5 and the rest are training for a marathon so they kept on going. I was happy it wasen't me, I have no desier to run 18 miles right now. Yesterday we did boot camp, I biked, then Jer and I met up with someone who knows what to look for in a runner, she evulated our run and gave us drills to learn how to run better. I had no idea running was so hard. I guess my injory has damaged my running stride, I know land flat on my feet and bend my knees to "absorb the shock" when in reality it does the oppiset and makes it worse in the long run, so I have to work on that. I'm exited to start doing the drills. After that I went for a bike ride, probably only 4 miles or so, but it was a beautiful night. Today we ran about 5.3. I have decided to slown down a little because I"m sick of running at my max heart rate like Deb is always wanting to do.... I don't know if it is her max heart rate, but from the way she is breathing i'm pretty sure it is. It just takes the enjoyent out of it for me. I will do speed training in the max zone, but not a 5 mile run. i'd like to keep it under 90% of max, which I think is under 190bpm -- not sure though, I need to figure out what my max is, I think I will do the hill test tonight to figure that out. However, I'm running with Cami tonight because she didn't run this morning because of her son, so we're doing 5, but she runs slower, so it'll be a nice change. I read that working out twice in a day is better because you still have a whole day to recover, so that is what I plan on doing, running 3-4 days a week. This week is going to be hard to get the weekend run in though, I guess I will have to go on sunday as well as play my first scoccer game. I'm thinking 12 this week, then back down to maybe 10 or 9 the week after that then do a 13 or 14 again. I think I will run the Prarie State half marathon on Oct. 9th.
8.26.2010 -- My leg is feeling pretty good now. Jer massaged it when we were watching TV Tuesday night, and it feels REALLY good today, i'm exited. It dosen't really hurt at all... Yesterday I did absolutely nothing active. We went to a sox game and I ate SO much food, it was soo good, but I think I would feel better today if I hadn't. THey had a HUGE buffet with everything you could want pretty much, all you can drink, then outside they had more... soft pretzels, ice cream, Italian beefs, pop corn.... wow. then a huge desert bar... bread pudding, cheese cake, cookies... I haven't been that full since Christmas. Since we were out so late last night we are going to run tonight because getting up early to run after all that would have been bad... I think we are going to do about 12 miles because i'm gone Saturday for a family reunion... Not sure where or when though, I have to care for my parents animals as well... somehow it will work out. Then Friday I figured i'd bike ride to sandwich to take care of horses, then ride horses and clean stalls... then maybe bike back or get a ride. Then Saturday we will be driving all day... I figured Sunday i'd go for another shorter run... then Monday off like usual....
9.23.2010 -- Well Something horrible happened about 4 weeks ago. I had my first Soccer game, it was fun, crazy exhausting but fun, it was the last half in the last 7 minutes... I got the ball, their was a line to the goal... I shifted all my weight to my left leg to kick the ball to the line when suddenly I got slammed from behind, my ankle twisted and popped and I fell. I couldn't get up, I couldn't walk, it hurt. I was golf carted off the field and they gave my ice right away... I thought maybe it was broken but then I thought about previous sprained ankles, and about how I had fallen and I thought sprain. I lightly walked on it that day because it was my Grandmas birthday... Bad Idea... I couldn't bend it at all and it was SO swollen it looked like I has a 200 lb woman. I read up on sprains and started R.I.C.E treatment. for 3 days I didn't walk on it, it was so hard, I though for sure I would fall down the stairs with the crutches... I had to drive my truck because my car is a stick and I couldn't put the clutch down... it was sad, I couldn't even think about going to boot camp let alone running. after 3 days I started walking on it and doing excersizes to strengthen it -- it was hard, I could barly move it, walking was extremely painful, I kept hitting it on stuff and it hurt... I couldn't raise my weight with it.... but I walked, I went for walks around the neighborhood... then I started biking. Each morning I'd get up and hobble around because it was so stiff and sore first thing. It slowly started getting better and after 10 days I went on my first 3 mile run with a brace. it was hard. the next run I did 4, and the next 5. it was doing good but only for forward backward motion, it was still very tired at the end of the run. After that I started running back in my regular running group. It wasen't too bad getting back to running at normal pace -- Boot camp was hard at first because I couldn't jump on it... Now it has been 4 weeks and it is doing good, but still sore. I can kick the kick stand on my bike now without pain (before I couldn't do it at all, I had to use my other foot) it's still sore, and I still need to do strengthening stuff with it to make it stronger, but last weekend I ran almost 10 on it, today we did a practice race for the YMCA to make sure their time equipment works, we ran 5+ miles at a 8:24 pace... I felt good, and my ankle dosen't feel too bad. I ice it after every workout -- and i'm taking fish oil pills to help with the inflammation...  that's about it... the rest of my leg feels good not that it had to rest completely for about 10 days.... so that's good. maybe thats what I needed to, something to force myself to rest, I defiantly had NO choice. it about drove me crazy.
10.7.10 -- My running is going good. Ankel is holding up good. I have been running in the 8:20's these days. I"m going to start my 10k training schedule this week. This morning we ran 6.1ish miles -- I felt ok, but not awesome, Tuesday we ran to Blackhawk 5 miles in 40 minutes, it was COLD! I think that's why I wanted to go so fast because I made the mistake of wearing shorts and my legs were SO cold. Tonight I'm going to go to the track and run 4 800's at with 440 jogs between reps with a 1mile warm up and cool down. I think that was my problem before, no warm ups or cool downs. My legs feel pretty good, I am worried about getting a shin splint though because I have tightness and pain every now and then, but so far so good, thing has lasted long enough for me to complain about. This training plan, I plan on running every other day -- I think i want to have a whole day for my legs to rest and recover between runs. So we'll see how that goes. I hope to run the Hobbler Gobbler in 45:00 that would be 7:30ish miles. We did a mile test the other day and with about 75 - 80% effort I ran a 6:14, so I was pretty happy with that considering last test (a long time ago) I was completely all out and did a 6:59. I'm using a runners world coach for this session for 6 weeks before the race, so i'm exited to see how it goes! I think I will just have my own schedule and others can come with if they want, but getting everyone on the same training program for a long period of time is way too hard. Most likely going to the track alone tonight.
10.26.2010 -- I'm still training for the 10 K -- its 2 weeks away. I have been doing my speed work once a week & have been running my normal runs faster -- usually around an 8:30. THis week I have a 9 mile long run -- I have felt pretty good lately, hoping that everything holds up till my races are over. So far I will do the 10k and a 5k in yorkville, I will probably sign up for a couple more before the racing season is over.I got these new compression sleeves for my calves that I LOVE. I wear them when I run and at night after a run. I have also been having a scoop of whey protein after runs. Every now and then my ankle starts to hurt again, or my calves will be tight, or my shin might hurt a little, but nothing major yet. Maybe I finally found the right shoes or I'm just stronger and more flexible than before. My big toe nail is ready to come off though -- i'm a little worried about what it will feel like once it is off, but it's so loose it could come off any day with a little help. that's it for now...

No comments:

Post a Comment