Monday, August 26, 2013

Training good - Racing BAD

Running through Big Rock forest preserve

On Rock creek road out for 17
 Training is going good. I have been feeling continuously better on my long runs. Was able to do some 7:45 miles in the middle of a 18 mile run and finish the last 10k around 8:00 miles or less. Not completely sure because my watch died - but I was running with Matt - and keeping up... and he's fast. My speed workouts/hill work outs have been good. I feel stronger and faster... Have not felt too burned out too often. I feel like it's coming together well.



Our group after the race

HOWEVER - just because training is going good does not mean that I have learned to race. I'm still quite horrible at it. I ran the peapod half marathon in batavia yesterday and am not happy with my performance. I know I could have done better because my sister did better & I was at least as trained as her. Infact I have had better training runs for a while now - so I should have been capable of her time or BETTER. However, I finished in 1:47 and she finished in 1:44. I was doing OK till about mile 8. it was not easy, but I was hanging in at my goal pace (7:55) then I just started slipping, and before I knew it I was walking up a hill and walking for a while after a water stop. One of my runner friends passed me, I should have been able to kick it up and keep up. I could have.
 But I didn't and couldn't. It's so frustrating. It's like i'm just mentally weak when it comes to races. I'm thinking if I do not have any races that are concidered good to me, meaning meeting my goals etc. that I will quit racing next year and just train with everyone. I love running and being with the group... getting better. But it's just so heart breaking when all my hard work does not show at all on race day. Why spend all that money if I'm just going to under preform and end up being upset? I'm considering a running psychologist, and a running coach.. But I really can't afford all that.
Debi and I after the half

Next up is some cool training runs I hope. Next week is starved rock - not sure what the following week will be, then we have an easy week and then the Fox valley marathon. I'm not all that exited about that right now. i'm exited about Starved rock training run... I kept thinking, that if I just keep racing someday I will just be good at it, I will figure it out, get past what ever my deal is with it... but it has not happened yet... I suppose I still came in 10th out of 65 in my division.... and placed pretty well over all... but I know I could have done better. Debi did better.




No comments:

Post a Comment