Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Running through runners knee is not so fun

So, I guess I might kind of have runners knee. it hurts. I don't like it. Other things hurt too - seems like everything in my lower legs hurt. My quad that I pulled in soft ball seems pretty much fine now though, so apparently my body is capable of healing although it seems to be choosy as to what it actually heals. I thought I was going to just run through the pain and strengthen the things that need to be strengthened to fix these problems and just sort of heal as I go type of thing... However, yesterday as I practically limped  the first mile of my 9 mile run I decided I was getting a little tired of pain. Especially when I wanted to run after my dog and play with her and I couldn't even do that because it hurt too much.... I don't want to ruin my summer because i'm in pain all the time and don't want to go for walks with Matilda, or do ride horses with Pris because of my knee. I'm tired of limping. I need to heal. This week is my "easy" week. I think  I will cross and strength train for 2 of my running days (Wednesday and Thursday) and then run on Saturday. It sucks though. I just want to feel better and run and continue with my training, but I just don't think running through it is working - at all. So that's my plan. hopefully I will do it and feel better and start slowly back up to regular training, hopefully it wont be too hard to get back to the schedule. I'm not happy about this, but I think it must be done. My new cushion shoes should be in soon, I"m thinking about getting custom orthodontics...  Not sure if I need them though. Last week I got all my runs in. One of the 8's turned into a 6 because it was hot and after the speed workout that I shouldn't have done the day before I was really hurting. The long run was supposed to be 16 but very sadly it was only 15.3 somehow I missed a loop that I should have gone on. it was really hot though, not fun. i was so sweaty. it was 75 degrees with around 80 percent humidity at 5am. Crazy.

Thursday 7th - so far I have stuck to my plan. Tuesday I biked 34 miles, yesterday I did the elipitcal for 45 minutes, then arm work out then biked 10 miles. Today i'm going to bike 12 miles and do the elipitical tonight for 45 minutes. probably add some weighted squats and my knee work out. I want to run :( Saturday can't come soon enough, I just hope I will be healed by then!

Tuesday the 12th - So I stuck with my plan - I worked out about 2 hours a day to make up for not running - I have been bike riding on my lunch break and if I work hard I can get 13 miles in (tops so far) then I did the elicpital 2 days (for the run days I skiped) and did other strength work outs.  It was a lot of work, but it payed off. I ran 9 on Saturday morning and felt pretty good, it was hard because 4 days with no running will do that to a runner, but I made it and my knee didn't hurt at all. Yesterday I did 9 again and it was super humid. My ankles are starting to hurt now though :( its annoying. always something. also the sides of my knee hurts, but not like before at all.... I still need to get my core stronger but I think i'm on the road to recovery! I have 2 8 mile runs this week and then Saturday is a 18 miler although we may cut it to 16ish. I'm glad I stuck with my plan, it was hard, but defiantly worth it. I still hurt a little when I get up but not even close to how it was before.

Thursday the 14th - I"m still running. it hurts. Blisters, shin splints, sore knees (surprisingly that's not my main problem anymore)  I need to go to dicks and get some low arch shoe inserts - my new Sauconay cushion shoes need some more support - I also think I need to order size 9 shoes not 9.5, the 2 pairs that are 9.5's have given me blisters on the bottom of my feet (on the arch, or what little arch I have) So that's annoying because those shoes have a lot of miles left on them. I ran 6 with boot camp this morning, it was a really awesome morning, the coolest it's been in FOREVER. I need 9 though, so I am going to do a split and run 4 or 5 tonight. I think next week i'm going to try to add tuesdays back in and see what happens. Maybe i'm just being a wuss. I need to toughen up.

No comments:

Post a Comment