Thursday, July 28, 2011

Hurt again :(

Well - I have a few problems now.
I think I know why too -- when I was training for the 5k I had planned on taking about 3 weeks easy before marathon training -- but I felt so great at the time, nailing most of my speed works outs etc. I decided not to... BIG mistake. I should have known when I was starting to get tired and struggle with the workouts to take a few days off and rest... but I didn't. and now.... here I am.

Last week I didn't make it through my week. I ran 7.5 Monday - it hurt. Knees, Shin, ankle.... Tuesday I made it 4m on a DREADmill it was horrible - HATED IT. Wednesday night in the heat I made it 7.5 at a walk - run. I couldn't make it more than 4 miles with out breaking down. it just hurt too much, Deb was with me and was nice enough to stay with me.

I decided it was not worth it. This Marathon is not worth ruining my summer for. So, I decided to take a week off - off from everything. The workouts in general, definitely running & eating healthy, all the things I had been forcing myself to do.

So Thursday I slept skipping my 9 mile run, then I had pizza for dinner and stayed up late with a friend (I did walk Matilda)
Friday I slept in, I went hiking and biking with Debi but that was for fun not for the work out, then I ate junk food and closed the bar down with a friend staying up till 2am.

I relished my Saturday morning not having to get up early to run my 20 mile run - it was great. I didn't miss running one bit - my knee and shin still hurt. I went to garage sales made eggs and toast for breakfast & went for a 15ish mile bike ride to run some water out to jer who had to run 17 miles. I didn't envy him and had fun biking with him for a while - took some pictures of some georgious flowers along the way. I mowed the grass, walked Tilda... then I stayed up late watching a movie with neighbors and grilling out. Popcorn with the movie of course!

Sunday I was a little junk fooded out so I just had oat meal for breakfast I think..... Didn't do much Sunday, just walked Matilda and went for a bike ride, drank wine and watched a movie before bed - knee and shin still hurt.

Monday I slept in, I was starting to get use to it, it was great. I didn't have to worry about my protein content so I ate things I normally wouldn't for breakfast, was early to work because I didn't have to clean up from a run... Monday I was supposed to run 10 miles. I ate  pretty much what ever I wanted. I went for a bike ride and hiking with Debi and Tilda, it felt like Tuesday but it was Monday. I stayed up till 10 reading... so relaxing to know all I had to do was go to work in the morning....

then Tuesday I  slept in again.... Went biking a few miles, walked Tilda after work went roller blading with Pris. banalced on my balance thing and stretched.... Finished my 8th or 9th book of the year.

Yesterday I slept in even though I was thinking about getting up early... that didn't happen I didn't sleep well...I did feel sad I missed the sun rise... then on lunch break I went to star bucks and went ahead and ordered coffee AND an apple fritter, it was worth every each and every one of it's 420 glorious calories. I enjoyed every bite.  I have been working on a bag of dove chocolates and a bag of cookies at home, i'll actually be glad when they are gone because i'm getting a little carried away with them - YUM. For dinner I had mashed potatoes mixed with beans and some fresh beans from my garden. I took tills for a walk and went for a 8 mile bike ride with my new bike. I want to ride it ever day, it's fun and SO much more comfortable than my old one. My old one feels like a piece of junk now. Some day I want to get a REALLY nice bike, right now new this one would cost around 450, but I got it used. It's a diamond back - i'm going to get racing handle bars for it and a water bottle holder once pay day comes. I also bought a camera to carry with me, its adventure proof. I like to buy stuff when i'm sad - it makes me feel better, and I do feel better from all my rest and indulgences. I think i'm ready to go back, and I did this morning.

Slowly, but I did. I ran 5.3 miles with boot camp at a 9:45 pace. SO SLOW I know, but I read that when you come back from an injury that's what you have to do, so that's what i'm going to do. and I like it. going slow is NICE. I think I will keep going slow, it's more fun right now. I'll be fast again someday, but not till i'm 100% again which i'm guessing will not be till after the marathon that is, if my coming back slow this week works and I continue to run somewhat pain free. My new plan is:

Run 3 days a week.
Once I can I will start doing tempo runs and some speed work, but not till i feel better.
I want to run with boot camp and Debi and Jer when ever possible -  it's more fun.
I want it to be fun - why should I do it if I hate it? life is too short for that.
I don't want this to ruine my summer - so I wont' let it!
I will NOT make all my desisions based on running
I will indulge in yummy food that may not be too healthy because I like them and they make me happy
I will do other things besides running anytime I want to reguardless to the fact that they may get me hurt and hinder running.
I will stay up late sometimes!
I will like running or I will not run - maybe not every run, but in general
If I really hurt I will stop
If i'm really tired I will sleep more and run later
I will listen to my body
Running will not be my life
This summer will be fun - I think I just had the best week of the whole summer last week when I wasn't running - I don't want to go back to the way things were, but I am ready to run again - I think I can make it work.
Live and learn, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment