Friday, January 14, 2011

Running hot in the cold

Winter running  almost always sounds worse than it actually is. I find that I run better in the cold, much better than the heat. My two main problems with running in the cold are, 1. getting myself to actually do it and 2. wearing the right amount of layers. Once I actually force myself outside and start running on a cold day, i'm fine -- I just have to make myself believe that 10 degrees really isn't that cold. Sure, the first half mile is a little rough, it hurts to breath, its cold, it makes my face burn -- then the occasional frigged gust of wind that seems blow through ever layer of clothing I have on and chill me down to my very bones, or the semi truck that causes that gust of wind and accompanys it with a taste of salt air that blew up from the road (GROSS). However, after that half mile to mile and a half the cold air begins to feel good, the gusts of freezing air are welcomed as they whisk away unwanted heat, the breath of tasty road salt air...well that's never enjoyable, you just start to stop thinking about where it came from and it's not so bad.

The second problem I have us over dressing -- i'm just so cold when I get up in the morning, I just want to add layer after layer to make that first mile less tourcherious. I pile on a tank top, a wisking long sleeved shirt, a t-shirt, a fleese, a heavy running jacket, gloves, a ear band, a hat....It's nice for a while, however after that mile those layers start to feel very suffocating restricting, excess heat makes the run harder & peeling off the sweaty layers after it's all done isn't all that enjoyable ether. I have learned through out a serious of overdressed runs how to judge the weather and wear the right layers -- I do still over dress sometimes, but that's part of the winter running experience -- one more obstical to that perfect run.

I did find that runners world has  a nice little program, you put in the data (temperature, wind & cloud conditions) then enter in how you prefer to run, warm, cool or in between the two, press search and it tells you what to wear -- usually when I follow that I feel I do not have enough clothes on, but I always end up being about perfect.
Here is the link: http://www.runnersworld.com/cda/whattowear/0,7152,s6-240-325-330-0-0-0-0-0,00.html

No comments:

Post a Comment